Suicide Awareness and Prevention Resources
For decades, Montana has ranked in the top five in the nation for suicide rates. It’s a troubling statistic and an issue that has likely touched most Montanans in some way.
MTN is teaming up with Montana experts – people who are passionate about saving lives – to look into suicide in the state and how to lower the rate, and ideally eliminate suicide.
The “MTN Zero Suicide Initiative” is about telling people’s stories and looking into statistics to cultivate change and provide resources.
“It’s a personal responsibility of all of us to gain knowledge, to become educated and not be nonchalant about this issue that’s a very grave and troubling issue in our state,” said Greg Tilton, the chair of the Cascade County Mental Health Local Advisory Suicide Prevention Team.
Suicide awareness and prevention resources:
- If you are in crisis and want help, call the Montana Suicide Prevention Lifeline anytime at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or text “MT” to 741 741
- Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services: http://dphhs.mt.gov/amdd/Suicide.aspx
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- AFSP Montana
- Montana Suicide Hotlines: http://www.suicide.org/hotlines/montana-suicide-hotlines.html
- GREAT FALLS Crisis Line (406) 453-4357
- HELENA Mental Health Service (406) 443-5353
- Voices of Hope: http://www.voicesofhope.info/suicide-hotline.php
- Montana Prevention Resource Center 406-444-9772
- Provides assistance to programs that focus on teen pregnancy, youth drug and alcohol abuse, child abuse, school dropout, and juvenile crime and delinquency.
- Montana Coalition against Domestic and Sexual Violence P.O. Box 818 Helena MT 59624; (406) 443-7794
- Montana Foundation for Suicide Prevention 16 Shiland Street P.O. Box 1205 Helena, MT 59624
- Hotline: (406) 431-8996
- Web: Montana Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- You Are Not Alone Network: http://youarenotalonenetwork.org/resources/state-resources/montana-resources
- Great Falls Vet Center 615 2nd Ave N, Great Falls, MT 59401; (406) 452-9048
- #BeThere campaign info: https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/BeThere.aspx
- Spread the Word ideas: https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/BeThereSupport.aspx
- Resources for Veterans: https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/BeThereVeterans.aspx